This super yummy and super pretty recipe is, I'm afraid, a bit naughty. It's got a half cup of sugar per two layers. I wanted this cake to be tall so I repeated the recipe. I also added whipped cream (200ml whipped with one teaspoon of caster sugar) and sliced strawberries to serve. But as you can imagine you could go and add whatever kind of extra flavours or toppings you're into. Go and get creative.
Cake Ingredients (per two layers, i.e. one sponge split in two):
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180 Celcius / 350 Fahrenheit.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until the mixture is thick and creamy, about 5 minutes on an electric mixer or 10 minutes with a hand mixer.
3. Gently fold the flour into the egg mixture with a large metal spoon.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
5. Allow to cool before removing from baking tray.
6. Allow to cool completely on rack before adding cream or icing etc.
Writer of healthy recipes with simple instructions.