This is a healthy alternative to the regular deep-fried donuts. Being baked reduces the fats that are added to regular donuts which are just plain unnecessary. Aaaaaand these taste just as good, if not better. That being said this recipe still contains butter, flour and sugar so it is not super clean eating but it is a half way measure in the right direction. And some better choices through the day is all it takes to make some positive changes.
Donut Ingredients (approx 10 donuts):
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
50g unsulated butter
2 and a 1/2 cups flour
1 and a 1/2 teaspoons dried yeast
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
A few teaspoons of unsalted butter
100g dark chocolate
1. Heat milk for approximately three minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat when steam starts to rise but before it comes to the boil. Then stir in butter and allow to melt.
2. To make the donuts sift flour into a mixing bowl. Stir in yeast, sugar and cinnamon.
3. Once butter is melted make a well in the flour mixture and add the milk and butter to it until combined.
4. Knead the mixture on a floured surface for 10 minutes then place into a large canola sprayed bowl and cover with plastic wrap for 1 hour.
5. Knead again and roll into one flat piece about 2cm thick.
6. Cut the dough to size. I used a large drinking cup for the outside ring and a shot glass for the inside ring.
7. Gently place the donut shapes onto a canola sprayed baking tray, cover with plastic wrap and leave for 30 minutes. As they are resting turn on oven to preheat at 200 degrees Celsius / 400 Fahrenheit.
8. After 30 minutes resting place baking tray in oven for 12 minutes or until donuts are golden brown then remove and allow to cool.
9. For the frosting.... bring 1/4 of a saucepan of water to the boil and remove from the heat. Then place a larger saucepan containing the dark chocolate on top to melt. Once chocolate has melted take half of the donuts and dip them into the chocolate. Leave to cool.
10. Combine the 1/4 cup of caster sugar and the 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon in a bowl and spread half of the donuts with unsalted butter. Then cover the donuts in the sugar and cinnamon mix.
11. Store donuts in fridge.
Writer of healthy recipes with simple instructions.