I like making fresh bread rolls because it's good knowing all the ingredients that go in and there's something satisfying about being able to make something yourself.
Great for burgers, packed lunches and picnics. This recipe has only 6 ingredients and is easy and simple to make. A healthier alternative to store bought bread.
The only thing you'll need to prepare yourself for this recipe is allowing the dough to rest twice. So best done when you have some time up your sleeve.
1 and a 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon yeast
1 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons olive oil
1. Pour the warm water into a mixing bowl and stir in the sugar.
2. Add the yeast and leave for 10 minutes until the yeast is foamy.
3. Add the salt, olive oil and half of the flour and stir to combine.
4. Then add the remaining flour and stir.
5. On a flour dusted surface knead the dough for 10 minutes and then leave to rest in a flour dusted bowl for 1 hour, covering with a tea towel. It's best to keep in a warm place for the dough to rise. Also if you are under time constraints you can rest for less time but for best results try to leave for at least 1 hour.
6. Knead the dough and divide into portions. This will make 16 dinner rolls or 8 larger burger rolls. Roll each portion out a little and place onto a greased baking tray to rise again for another hour. Once again if you are under time pressures you can reduce the rising time but longer is usually better. Turn on the oven to preheat at 180 Degrees C / 360 Degrees F.
7. After the dough has risen this is when you can add seeds on top if you choose. In this pic I added sesame seeds, you'll only need a few teaspoons. And to help them stick I added an egg wash of 1 egg white, 1 tablespoon of water and a pinch of salt whisked together and painted on top before adding the seeds.
8. Then place the baking trays into the oven to bake for approximately 10 - 15 minutes. Just keep an eye on the dough's colour. You are looking for a golden brown.
9. Then remove from the oven and allow to cool on baking racks.
10. Once they have cooled completely store in an airtight container.
And that's it.
Writer of healthy recipes with simple instructions.